Ireland’s essence is, as its nickname suggests, emerald.
A cursory Google Image search shows why: in just 32,599 square miles (84,432 square km), the island is bursting with lush greenery and natural wonders. Its breathtaking waters and beaches border the vibrant towns and cities that give this country its inimitable character.
While we can’t hop on the next flight to Dublin, we wanted to transport you on a virtual trip to the friendly isle of Ireland — all from the comfort of your own living room, of course. Here’s everything you need to know:
Bag to Bring
As you may have heard, it can get quite rainy in Ireland. You need a bag that’ll be ready for the elements, and that’s the Aluminum Edition Carry-On from Away. Its hard shell will keep your clothes safe from rain, snow, and the occasional spill of Guinness. Hey, we’re not judging!
Sights to See
Everywhere on the Emerald Isle is enchanting, but here are some must-see destinations to add to your journey:
- If you’re a Star Wars fan (or a fan of natural beauty in general), you’ve got to stop at Skellig Michael, also known as Ahch-To from The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens. Although it’s not actually an alien planet, the islands of Skellig Michael exude an otherworldly charm, with dramatic cliffs and rock formations constructed by sixth century monks. You’ll have to take a supposedly grueling 45-minute boat ride to visit these islands, but clearly, the payoff is worth the trip.
- We’d be sorely remiss not to include the Guinness Brewery in Dublin on this list. Although its stout is by and large its most famous beer, the brewery offers a bevy of other beverages to try, some of which are hard to find in the states. Cheers to that!
- While Dublin gets a lot of love for Guinness — and rightfully so — the city of Cork is an often-overlooked culinary destination. Here, you can stroll the streets and grab an artisanal coffee or corned beef at one of the city’s fabulous restaurants. Top off your trip with a tour at the world-famous Jameson Distillery.
- Feeling a little fatigued from city-hopping? Head over to Rathlin Island off the coast of Northern Island. The island is virtually free of cars and perfect for a day trip if you’re a fan of cycling. You might even see some puffins on your path.
Food to Try
- Tayto Crisps are delicious salty snacks from Ireland. They’re the perfect potato chips for any Netflix binge, and best of all, they’re available on Amazon!
- There’s nothing more Irish than corned beef and cabbage, and you don’t have to be in Ireland to enjoy it! We love this recipe from Taste of Home because it’s got all the ingredients you need to make savory mustard and horseradish sauces. Be sure to enjoy your corned beef with some Irish soda bread.
- One of the most popular Irish drinks is a proper Irish Coffee. This video from Colm of Costigans Pub shows you the best way to make it yourself. Make sure to use Jameson Whiskey for authenticity.
- Barry’s Tea is a classic Irish favorite. This smooth black tea can ease you into any morning. It’s the perfect companion for answering a long list of emails. Get it shipped straight to your door via Amazon.
- Guinness Stout, obviously.
- “Inish” is the Gaelic word for Island. The Inis the Energy of the Sea Scented Candle transports you to Irish cliffside, overlooking the sea. We recommend burning this candle while listening to one of Ireland’s most beloved artists, Enya.
- VOYA is based in Sligo in Northwest Ireland. Its relaxing bath and shower oil is loaded with lavender, geranium, and wild Irish seaweed, making it well worth the splurge.